The other day I went to The Farmer's Market in the city..........I like to support the local Farmers. I noticed these gorgeous peppers so I bought three colours to stuff, which by the way is one of my favourite dishes and not to mention my husband's also.
STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
1 lb. ground beef or lamb
2 lbs. bell peppers [colours are your choice]
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
2 large onions, finely chopped
2-3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. oil
1/2 cup uncooked rice
Stock OR water
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
4 Tbsp. tomato paste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Cut the tops off the peppers and reserve; wash and drain.
2. Saute onions with 2 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. oil. When just beginning to brown, add rice and
1 1/2 cups stock or water. Cover and simmer for 10 min. Till water is absorbed..... remove from heat, and cool.***** Sometimes I just skip cooking the rice and just add it raw to the suteed onions.
3. In a large bowl combine onion and rice with the meat, tomatoes, 2 Tbsp. tomato paste, chooped parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well till combined.
4. Fill each pepper with the meat and rice mixture. Being careful to allow room for the rice to expand when cooked. Place pepper tops over the stuffed peppers.
5. Put peppers in a baking pan.........dot each one with butter if meat is too lean... Stir into 1 cup stock OR water and 2 Tbsp. tomato paste and pour over peppers. Cover and bake 1 hour @ 350 deg. or longer untill the peppers are cooked. Check occasionally as they cook and add more 'hot' water or stock a lil' at a time, when the level gets low.