"SWEET ON YOU"

One woman's insight into her daily life and some 'adventures'.............cooking, collecting, travels etc. With a lil' bit of this and that...........

Saturday, October 3, 2009

My travels to Turkey.

These pictures are of some of my travels to Turkey..........it is an amazing country. My husband Don is originally from there. The history there is 'everywhere', so much to see and so much to do. I will later post more pictures of my travels there.


Hagia Sophia ..........Istanbul, Turkey.
This is a former Greek Orthodox Basilica, later a Mosque and now a museum. It was originally constructed as a church betwen 532 and 537 AD.
In 1453 it was converted into a Mosque by the Ottaman Turks. In 1935 it was converted into a Museum.
Just amazing to walk around inside, if not tired and you can manage to crawl up to the second level they have beautiful 1500 year old Icons..........
Here is an interior where there are some Christian Icons and Islamic symbols..........


Hagia Sophia interior.........great details.












Blue Mosque.

















This is The Sultan Ahmet Mosque in Istanbul, turkey. It is known as the The Blue Mosque for its blue tiles adorning the walls of the interior.

It was built from 1609 to 1616 by Sultan Ahmet I.

This one of my favourite places to visit when we go to see my husband's family........there is a gorgeous park out in front. They sell tea and some sweets........I just like to sit there and think of how it was centuries ago with all this history. Just a stones throw is The Hagia Sophia another historical structure of the same stature........It is all so breathtaking.


Ceiling............













Interior of the Blue Mosque

No comments:

Post a Comment