"SWEET ON YOU"

One woman's insight into her daily life and some 'adventures'.............cooking, collecting, travels etc. With a lil' bit of this and that...........

Friday, October 2, 2009

Sponge Cake.........




This is a very, very old recipe that my Mom and Aunt got from their friend. Who by the way is 98 years old and still bless-her-heart alive and sharp as a needle. My Mom and Aunt a lot younger have since both passed away. So this cake brings me a lot of memories.......and one of the first cakes I learned to bake when I got married.




I remember as a child going out to the cottage in the summer time and every other day this cake was baked by my Mom's friend. It was a favourite as she would make a strawberry sauce or raspberry or just pile a fruit salad on top and maybe with a scoop of ice cream.

Now I bake it for my husband..........who loves it. His favourite is he puts it onto a plate and pours milk on top..........you would think that he would have the milk in a glass but know he just soaks it in milk. I think that this goes back to his cultural roots where he is from. Because in Turkey most or all of their cakes and cookies are soaked in a sweet syrup after they are baked.



SPONGE CAKE


8 large eggs, separated
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1 cup orange juice
Zest of orange or lemon [optional]





Grease a large tube pan and set aside............Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Separate eggs, and beat egg whites till stiff and set aside.

Sift all purpose flour and baking powder together.

With mixer beat egg yolks and sugar till combined.

Add orange juice and oil..........then add the flour and baking powder in 3 batches with mixer till well combined.

Fold in egg whites with spatula till well combined.

Bake 350 for 1 hour and test with toothpick lightly browned till done.
******Cool in pan for 15 till the cake cools down.


I like to sprinkle some confectioner's sugar on top. This is also great with a dollop of whipped creme and some fresh berries in season.


No comments:

Post a Comment