"SWEET ON YOU"

One woman's insight into her daily life and some 'adventures'.............cooking, collecting, travels etc. With a lil' bit of this and that...........

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Red Radish Salad


All winter I haven't bought any radishes........but as I was in the supermarket I noticed they had these nice red radishes. Haven't had this salad in so long that I thought this would be a good side dish for burgers that we were having that night for dinner. Plus this is my daughter Jackie's one of her  favourite salads. She learned to eat this salad when my Mom would make it for my Dad, he loved any kind of radish. This salad would appear regularly at our dinner table in the summer.


Growing up in my parents home I decided one year to plant some in the garden.....didn't work out to well as my dog for two straight years would dig them out before they even matured. I use to wonder why she would attack those radishes and if you gave her one she would munch it up. Maybe she could smell them in the ground being a dog with those 'noses'.




 

Red Radish Salad

1 bunch red radishes, stems removed, washed and sliced thinly
2 scallions, sliced thinly
Olive Oil or Canola oil (I use Canola oil)
Salt and Pepper to taste




Cut radishes into thin slices and place in bowl.


Add sliced thinly scallions to the radishes.


Add Olive oil or Canola oil along with salt and pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.


Cover and refrigerate........can be served chilled or at room temperature.








Notes**** I have sometimes added lemon juice, and zest to taste and or substituted scallions for chives.





Today I'm linking to:  http://www.designsbygollum.blogspot.ca/ for Foodie Friday.

9 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite salads too. Have you ever done it with the oriental radish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene....No I haven't done anything with oriental radishes. Can I find them in Chinatown? I'm always at the China place in Mississauga on Dundas St. there...and I pop into the grocery store there. Their veggie and fruit prices are good.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see a fellow Torontonian! This radish salad looks delicious. I love radishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow Torontorian..thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I love radishes so I am going to have to give this a try :) Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very tasty dish... thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. What a nice, simple salad. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look at your post because your picture brought back fond memories of my childhood. My dad grew 2 gardens each year, and I loved to pick the radishes and carrots to play kitchen in a storage building on the property. There was an old bar and a grill in there, so that was my "kitchen", so I'd go pick the veggies to have food to "cook".

    Your salad looks fresh and delicious and perfect for summer. I'd love if you would share it with my readers from June 17-23 at my Grill, BBQ and Picnic Party. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful salad! Simple, but fresh and quick. I'm going to keep it in mind when I see radishes!

    Have a great weekend!

    Melissa @ The Alchemist

    ReplyDelete