"SWEET ON YOU"

One woman's insight into her daily life and some 'adventures'.............cooking, collecting, travels etc. With a lil' bit of this and that...........

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Roast Beef the Old Fashioned Way

These are the last of my summer flowers.........Begonia's and Dusty Millers, soon my husband will be yanking them out and putting in Mums. Here are some Scarlett Red Begonia's and the Dusty Millers.
Beautiful pink and red Begonia's.




Dusty Miller..........I have some that have grown quite tall, that is if Alvin the Chipmunk doesn't trample on them in the pots or the Racoon in the flower beds.

Roast Beef with Cabbage........The way my Mom and Grandma use to make.

I don't have a set recipe for this because I usually just wing it as I'm cooking. My Grandma [Baba] made it like this in the old days...........and I'm still using her old roasting pan.


I take a roast and carmelize it to seal in the flavour..........and then put into a roaster.
Secondly I chop up 1 onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery ribs and 2 garlic cloves and saute til carmelized in olive oil or canola I use sometimes. Add to pan where the roast is and sprinkle all over.
Then I take a 1 small cabbage and cut it inot wedges and put around the roast beef..........
Lastly........... I roughly take 1 or 2 cups of beef broth and pour over roast beef and cabbage wedges. Then my Mom use to take Lipton's Onion Soup dry mix and sprinkle over everything in the roasting pan...........you may need more seasoning depending on your taste buds and salt in/take.
I like to chop up some flat leaf parsley and add to that also along with a couple of bay leaves.
Then I let it roast at 350 deg. F. til done and nicely browned and carmelized. We like ours well done and melting in your mouth as husband will not eat anything that is rare.
Ready to go into the oven...........


Roasted and ready to be eaten and carved.
THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I've never put cabbage into my pot roast, but such a great idea! I love your flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, Erica, what a treasure to have such a wonderful old family recipe!

    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious - I love the idea of putting cabbage in with the roast. I also enjoyed some of your past posts. I'm glad you visited my blog, as it gave me the opportunity to discover yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erica,
    Thank you very much for your beautiful words...I LOVE all the flowers in your blog...Do you know, begonias are always my favorites? I would love to entertain you if you ever come to Ankara...You can even stay in my house as well....Have a very beautiful september day!!!

    ReplyDelete